who does mft serve?
- We assert the value and positive impact of stable, long-term, emotionally enriching relationships.
- We believe that society is better off when social groupings are created that allow for and support these qualities.
- We recognize that all family forms have inherent strengths and challenges.
- As marriage and family therapists we focus our study and skills on how individuals in our society couple – choosing partners and establishing households – and form family groups.
- We study and intervene to assist in these relationships whether that means a marriage has occurred in the legal sense, whether there is co-habitation, or other forms of family.
- We invite members of heterosexual, same-sex, culturally similar, intercultural/interracial and other forms of family composition to engage with marriage and family therapists for relational development and problem solving within their cultural contexts.